Live, Laugh, Love, Military
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disney...

+5
Sportyshorty0204
bright eyes
armywife96
Psykiblue
Emily
9 posters

Go down

Disney... Empty Disney...

Post by Emily Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:27 pm

So Danielle talking about Tangled being Disney's last fairy tale has brought up an interesting debate with Bill and I. Especially after reading this.

Here's some interesting news. Stories like Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid and Snow White will live on forever, but those who love Disney's animated fairy tales might not get the happy ending they want. Following the release of Tangled, the studio said it's done producing fairy tale movies indefinitely.

"Films and genres do run a course," Ed Catmull, Pixar Animation Studios chief and co-head of Disney Animation, told the LA Times. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it ... but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up."

Those of you who once dressed up as Cinderella on Halloweens past might be bummed to hear this news, but Disney is trying to keep up with their competition. These days, tiaras have been pushed aside for the likes of Hannah Montana and Harry Potter.

According to Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University, girls are getting over fairy tale romances at a very young age. "By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," she said. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."

Sad!

Disney will continue to make animated films, but focus more on the Toy Story franchise and upcoming films like Winnie the Pooh and Reboot Ralph. In our opinion, the studio has produced plenty of "princess movies" over the last 70-plus years, so changing things up may be a smart move. We love Disney's fairy tale classics, but because they're everlasting, we can go back and watch them any time. Maybe it's time for some new, innovative ideas to shine.

What do you think of Disney's decision? Are you sad to hear that there won't be any new fairy tale films? Or are you good with what movies have already been made? Let us know what you think in the comments.

I want my kids to aspire to be princesses, not whores! As bad as this sounds I think that is where things are headed. Bill thinks there are issues with princesses to but fairy tales at least touch on values. I wonder sometimes what kids watch these day teaches them.
Emily
Emily
Admin

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Disney... Empty Re: Disney...

Post by Psykiblue Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:32 pm

I think its a broad sweeping generalization that kids want to be hot or cool at the age of 5 or 6, if we teach them what it means and focus emphasis on that of course they'll want it. I think in part with Disney's decision is because of the lack of money/lost of money they've experienced in recent years. But I love their movies princesses or no, hopefully it won't be so drastic as kids in skimpy outfits etc.
Psykiblue
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 am

I'm really sad to see them end. I know they said boys weren't interested in those types of movies anymore and they wanted to make things equal. Let me tell you that movie theater was packed with boys and girls. Even Erika at 13 loved the movie. This movie had a lot of humor in it that the kids laughed at but a lot the adults could laugh at too. I am just sad to see this type of movie come to an end, it was something you could "trust" as to the content of it. Forgive me if I step on toes cause I don't mean to but so many of these new shows for tweens are horrible. iCarly is constantly lying or sneaking around, the constant obsession with dating and kissing to me is just uncalled for when it is directed towards that age group, etc. Hannah Montana, well her personal life has a lot I disagree with but on the show she is constantly talking down to her dad or treating him like he doesn't have a clue, he acts like he is more interested in being her best friend then her dad. If you let a 9-10 yr old watch that it won't be long and they will be acting like that. I could go on and on.
I guess for me it just makes me more convinced the way tv/morals are going down the drain. My girls have always dreamed of being princesses and love those movies, not that they don't like movie like Cars and Toy Story but it just isn't the same. Now I feel like my parents for talking like this. lol
armywife96
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bright eyes Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:45 am

I love animated movies, but I always loved the fairy tale movies growing up..and I agree..id like it if my children didn't aspire to be sluts like some of the things they might see on tv.
bright eyes
bright eyes
W-2

Number of posts : 6047
Name : Heather
Hero's Name : Matthew
Military Branch : Army(Hooah)
Furbabies/Pets : Fiona & Pebbles(kitties), Apollo & Riley(dogs)
Kids : Dominic & Esme(impending baby Nicolai #2)
Anniversary : December 9, 2008
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:45 am

Oh it also makes me wonder the impact it will have on the Disney parks. Princesses are a huge part of the experience so are they going to start down playing them or continue to promote them there at least.
armywife96
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 am

armywife96 wrote:Oh it also makes me wonder the impact it will have on the Disney parks. Princesses are a huge part of the experience so are they going to start down playing them or continue to promote them there at least.

I wondered this too. I really think Disney is wrong about little girls not being in to it. Maybe those making the decisions need to sit and watch little girls see the castle at Disney world for the first time.

And I agree with you about all these shows on Disney now. I hate how the girls act on them, I don't want my girls talking to me like that. On Wizards of Waverly place the girl is a damn idiot! Why do I want my child to aspire to be an idiot? Hannah Montana just turned 18 years old and I wouldn't want my 25 year old dressing like she does. I haven't watched much iCarly. The one thing I do like about her is she has gotten Alexis in to film and they are always filming each other being funny which so far hasn't been anything bad but like I said I don't watch the show much and neither do they. They just like the idea. But basically I don't want my girls acting like Disney's new role models. It is hard enough to get my girls to use their manners and show respect! I don't need outside influences doing the opposite.
Emily
Emily
Admin

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sportyshorty0204 Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah I am not sure that at 5-6 children are really thinking about being "hot or cool" as the article said. I think it would be bad to completely banish fairy tales. I myself didnt watch all of them growing up but I still enjoyed the ones I did watch and would love for my children to get that same option as well.
Sportyshorty0204
Sportyshorty0204
W-2

Number of posts : 5670
Name : Leighann
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Lexi
Kids : Madisyn (maddie)
Anniversary : July 22 2006
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://www.facebook.com/sportyshorty0204

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 am

I've never watched Hannah Montana or any of those other shows because they look really, really stupid. I think it is sad that Disney is moving away from the films that made Disney such a household name, but I hope that parents will continue to show their kids the old films and discourage this new crap.

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by baybeegurl5469 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:07 pm

I think its a stupid move both from an ethical stand point as well as a business stand point. Why get rid of something that has been so successful over the years. Yeah, new ideas are fine and good but you don't need to get rid of the classic to make way for the new. You can have both!

I understand we all grow out of the "princess" stages but that doesn't mean we go STRAIGHT into the teenage I wanna look like an adult, there are inbetweens that would enjoy movies like the pixar movies- Cars, The Incredibles, Toy Story, Shrek, Tangled, Monsters Inc, etc. I wish they wouldn't primarily focus on the shows or genres like Hannah Montana and Icarly because its true that they do promote little girls to want to grow up faster.

...they grow fast enough without the help of disney, let them be kids.
baybeegurl5469
baybeegurl5469
W-1

Number of posts : 5154
Name : Krista
Hero's Name : Jonathon
Furbabies/Pets : DeeOGee
Kids : Elizabeth Marie and one on the way!
Anniversary : Valentines Day!
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-29

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Expressions/14932191513630

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm

I agree with Emily, I want my girls to want to be princesses not whores. It is messed up they are terminating the princess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenamie Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm

BTW icarly is Nickelodeon not Disney

Though I think all they mean is there going to focus on this computer animated stuff for movies
I for one was very disappointed that twisted is computer animated and not hand done...

But in the end it all comes down to $$$ and if people don't let there kids watch or take them to the "new" then they will change there minds
Jenamie
Jenamie

Number of posts : 6088
Name : Jeni
Hero's Name : Tim "Beetle"
Military Branch : Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Missy, Kaos, Orion, Comet, Cupid, Snickers, Bowzer
Kids : Shepard
Anniversary : 22 Aug 2009
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgiaPeach Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Having an 8 year old boy, we don't watch a lot of princess movies, but I agree that they arent' all just for the girls. I'm going to take him to watch Tangled...but little 5-6 year old girls ARE worried about being "hot" or "cool". My girlfriend's daughter just turned 6 and is constantly worried bout being popular at school and hanging out with the popular girls. ABout her clothes. One of the girls Caden's been friends with for years at school is a little chunky. Baby fat. She is beautiful! And dresses so cute! But age appropriate. But she is upset about being a little heavy and her mom told her it is more important to be pretty on the inside. She told her mom that boys don't look at the inside. They only see the outside! So, it may not be every child, but kids are definitely more into that kind of stuff now. However, as long as Disney continues to make good familly friendly movies, and you can get the others on DVD, I'm good!
GeorgiaPeach
GeorgiaPeach
Basic

Number of posts : 396
Name : Jennifer
Military Branch : AD Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Heidi and Mattie
Kids : Caden
Anniversary : 25 Mar 00
Blog :

Back to top Go down