Be grateful/Thankful

Go down

Be grateful/Thankful

Post by Psykiblue on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:53 am

How do you feel when someone says this to you if you're complaining/venting?

Want to punch them in the face?

Laugh at them?

Tell 'em off?
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Be grateful/Thankful

Post by marisa on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:56 am

If a person is upset or in crisis about something, it is their crisis to own because their life and experience is different from anyone else's, and although it may seem stupid to others, it is obviously a big deal to that person. Therefore, I think we should respect what they are going through and try to not compare it to others by telling them to be grateful that they are not in a worse situation.

When I was in grad school, I had a client who had a medical problem that wasn't life threatening or anything, but it created a lot of discomfort and aggravation for her. She made the statement, "I know I'm probably stupid for getting so upset over this," and I retorted with the fact that the situation was important and tough for her and therefore should be accepted and treated as such instead of being pushed off as "nothing."

Having said that, I do think that there are times when certain people become chronic with having "crises." Sometimes, this needs to be pointed out to them, but using the phrasing of "you should be thankful that..." is not the way to go. You just have them think about the "facts" of what is going on and have them explore how it can be changed and whether their reaction was necessarily appropriate.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by baybeegurl5469 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 pm

I agree with Marisa in that everyones experiences differ. I am sure we can go on for hours and say 'you should be thankful' for all kinds of situations because if you dig deep enough there is always someone or some situation who has had it "worse". But, who are we to judge what is situation is worse then another? Did I miss the chart?

If someone says it to me I usually just nod it off, but inside, I'm a lil put off/frustrated with that statement. I AM thankful for EVERYTHING in my life, but sometimes during a crisis I need to vent, be emotional or be upset. Just because I am letting the situation effect me doesn't mean I'm still not thankful.
baybeegurl5469
W-1

Number of posts : 5154
Name : Krista
Hero's Name : Jonathon
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : DeeOGee
Kids : Elizabeth Marie and one on the way!
Anniversary : Valentines Day!
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-29

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Expressions/14932191513630

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 am

Yes, I agree wtih Marisa. Marisa had explained that to me before and it made me feel better.

Depends on the situation and the person.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 am

I think it really depends on the situation. There are times that I wish someone would remind me to be thankful for what I have because I am soooo lucky but there are also times when I just want someone to listen for a second and comfort me. I aldo think that it depends on what the conversation is about.

I constantly tell my kids when they are complaining that they should be thankful for what they have. Anabelle especially, she is my little diva and just doesn't get that we don't have the money to spend on more clothes (she has to many as it is). The other night after she threw one of her fits because she needed more stuff and I actually drove her through a pretty bad part of town to show her what she could be living like.

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content