The TSA

Go down

The TSA

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Personally I never really paid attention to them aside from a minor annoyance at having to get to the airports super early because you never know when going through the security will make you late for your flight.

Lately though, the more I've read and learned I am really starting to completely distrust the organization. I read this article last week and it really just cemented my dislike even more.

Pilots and passengers rail at new airport patdowns

Today I read this blog and it just made me sick.

TSA - Sexual Assault

I get where people are afraid of what might happen because of what has happened in the past, but I really feel that we are giving an out-of-control group carte blanche to do whatever they please with no real repercussions. I'm definitely NOT a fan of the scanners (especially after it's been proven that several claims regarding them are lies), but what about those who have a valid reason for not wanting to be scanned (pregnancy anyone)? Is their only other choice to prove their innocence to now be sexually assaulted?

Back to top Go down

Re: The TSA

Post by GeorgiaPeach on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm an xray tech so I'm not thrilled about going into one either...I already get enough exposure. We got them in San Antonio and my mother in law flew into town last week and didn't have to go through one...so, not sure...I did hear the pilots are boycotting them in favor of the pat downs...not sure about them...
GeorgiaPeach
Basic

Number of posts : 396
Name : Jennifer
Military Branch : AD Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Heidi and Mattie
Kids : Caden
Anniversary : 25 Mar 00
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sportyshorty0204 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 pm

there isnt a scanner at the airport where my parents live. They have a new machine that seals you in a tube and blows air on you. No subjecting you to uneeded radiation!
Sportyshorty0204
W-2

Number of posts : 5670
Name : Leighann
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Lexi
Kids : Madisyn (maddie)
Anniversary : July 22 2006
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://www.facebook.com/sportyshorty0204

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Sportyshorty0204 wrote:there isnt a scanner at the airport where my parents live. They have a new machine that seals you in a tube and blows air on you. No subjecting you to uneeded radiation!
See! I would do something like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Have any of you heard of the TSA changes on the news before these articles, because I haven't, and I'm one who watches the news daily. While I understand that there have been recent security breaches, I also think that the public needs to be informed about what is going to happen. I would be seriously disturbed if someone touched my vagina without informing me first of what would happen.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 pm

That's part of my issue Marisa. It seems like no one has been informed of the changes and we're just expected to know these things. I'm sorry, but I don't exactly troll the TSA homepage checking for procedural updates everyday. The way their new changes are just implemented without warning just seems really sketchy. It also really shocked me that they didn't even inform people that were about to undergo the patdown where they were about to be touched.

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 pm

So, there is a thread on another forum of which I'm a member about the TSA. Almost everyone on there is arguing that the body scans and pat downs are a great idea. I posted your articles because I don't think they get the whole violation thing that has been going on.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by bright eyes on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm not looking forward to flying to california to see my inlaws for christmas as much after reading this article, it makes me wonder if they'll try to pick me out just because I'm pregnant and "could be hiding something"...that wouldn't go over well with matt at all!
bright eyes
W-2

Number of posts : 6047
Name : Heather
Hero's Name : Matthew
Military Branch : Army(Hooah)
Furbabies/Pets : Fiona & Pebbles(kitties), Apollo & Riley(dogs)
Kids : Dominic & Esme(impending baby Nicolai #2)
Anniversary : December 9, 2008
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenamie on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 am

just make them follow procedure Heather.
And if you feel uncompy at anytime say something and get a name always get a name Razz

Jenamie

Number of posts : 6088
Name : Jeni
Hero's Name : Tim "Beetle"
Military Branch : Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Missy, Kaos, Orion, Comet, Cupid, Snickers, Bowzer
Kids : Shepard
Anniversary : 22 Aug 2009
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Psykiblue on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 am

Thankfully in my flying experience I haven't been subjected to anything close- though I was scanned flying through to DC but that was expected. That said, the woman's experience should never have happened, and that is on the TSA and the person who failed to inform her.

It is sad that its come to this- that our protection and security relies on physical hand searches and violations. There has to be a better solution. Also like Marisa follow the news a lot, read both online and tv, and I have not heard of much of anything until now.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sportyshorty0204 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:31 am

bright eyes wrote:I'm not looking forward to flying to california to see my inlaws for christmas as much after reading this article, it makes me wonder if they'll try to pick me out just because I'm pregnant and "could be hiding something"...that wouldn't go over well with matt at all!

Just expose your belly...LoL then they wont have to say nething Very Happy

But I do agree all the changes they have made were not told to the public and I do not think that is right.
Sportyshorty0204
W-2

Number of posts : 5670
Name : Leighann
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Lexi
Kids : Madisyn (maddie)
Anniversary : July 22 2006
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://www.facebook.com/sportyshorty0204

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:42 pm

I am torn on the issue. I did watch the interview with the lady who is filing a sexual assult and I agree they went to far. The scan thing...ehh I'm not sure I really want the plane i'm flying on to be safe but at the same time 1. are they really looking closely when they have to look at 10,000 people a day 2. what are the issue involved with radiation, etc. The whole privacy thing with the scanner after having 3 kids privacy just doesn't even exist anymore if they want to really look at me naked on the scanner more power to them cause that is an image they will want to burn out of their brain. lol But we are flying out of Houston at Christmas and that being a major airport I am curious as to if we will have to go through them...if so I will let you knwo what I think personally!
NOW the whole pat down thing...I do have issue with that again, my whole since of privacy is kind of gone or whatever like I said before but if someone touched ERika or Britt like that I'd have to groin kick them. And I did read a story about them patting down a 3 yr old who was screaming please stop touching me... I just don't understand how we can send people to space but can't come up with a better solution.
I'm probably going to get some flack from my next comment but please let me explain myself before I do and please do not think I am raciest cause I am not. I have a friend on my street that is of this nationality and she herself has said the same thing I am saying.
As a general rule I do NOT believe in racial profiling HOWEVER, when 99% of the people responsible for the terriost attacks on our country using planes are from a certain nationality I do not think it would be unreasonable to put it in place. Great Britan does it, Isreal does it, UEA does it and those countries have VERY few if not any attacks of this nature.

Another point to ponder: How do you feel that women of certain religous groups are being excluded because it goes against their religion to 1. remove their head dress and 2. be patted down.
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm

armywife96 wrote: And I did read a story about them patting down a 3 yr old who was screaming please stop touching me... I just don't understand how we can send people to space but can't come up with a better solution.

Another point to ponder: How do you feel that women of certain religous groups are being excluded because it goes against their religion to 1. remove their head dress and 2. be patted down.

I heard a sound clip of the three year old, and she sounded terrified. I can't believe that they would pat down a little kid. Yeah, I know someone could hide something on a kid, but it bothers me.

I also heard of a 70-something year old man being forced to pull down his pants IN PUBLIC to be patted down.

As for your question, I think I heard on the news yesterday that they are not going to allow religion to be a reason to avoid a pat down and that if a person wants to fly, he or she has to either do the scan or pat down.

I have a friend who is Muslim and wears a burka (sp?), and I know from working with her in a group home with kids who tried to pull it off of her, that removal of it is very traumatic for her. It violates her just as someone groping my vagina would violate me, so in that, I don't think religion should exclude someone from a pat down since I think it violates everyone equally. Although I am horrified by the pat down idea, I think that if they are going to happen, they should be done IN PRIVATE so that it can be as comfortable as possible (I laugh as I type that) for whomever, be it a Christian, Muslim, whatever.

marisa
Admin

Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:57 pm

That is how I feel too Marisa in regards to the religious thing. I hadn't heard that they had ruled it that way, but I haven't watched the news for a few days.
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I think that I'm just glad that I like road trips. Just the idea of being patted down is enough to send me off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum