Does "who we are" impact how we are treated for our actions?

Go down

Does "who we are" impact how we are treated for our actions?

Post by marisa on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 am

A few days ago I finished reading the book The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. The general plot of the book is that there is a beautiful young man named Dorian who wants to forever remain attractive, and he makes a wish for it to be so. He soon discovers that a painting of him is aging while his physical body remains young. At the same time, Dorian in influenced by a book about people who do what at the time were considered immoral acts. Dorian begins to live his life according to the mantra that because he is young and beautiful, he can essentially do whatever he wants, no matter how it harms others. However, he notices that the painting of him shows signs of his immorality, and he does some very bad things in order to keep secret what he has done.

As I read, I started to think about today's society and how a lot of people believe it is important to dress a certain way and be seen in a certain light. It seems on the news at times that celebrities are sometimes treated differently for their actions than other individuals.

So, I guess my question for everyone is do you think that appearances and status impact how we are treated for our actions?

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Does "who we are" impact how we are treated for our actions?

Post by armywife96 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:01 pm

I think yes unfortunately, people are treated differently, sometimes better or worse based on their appearance or status. As you said celebraties are often treated differently because of their status. If a average citizen did some of the things that Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohen have done they wouldn't be walking off with a "slap on the wrist," so yes I think they are treated differently. Look at the atheletes who get away with more because of "who" they are. At the same time though they are under constant scrutiny in the public eye.
I think in a work enviroment people tend to want to hire someone who looks good. Lets face it if a 400lb person applies for a job at the same time as someone who is 115 lbs with perky boobs and an awesome body, reguardless of who is better qualified people are drawn to the second applicant.

I think I answered it, if I got the wrong idea from the question let me know.
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc07 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I agree with Danielle. I think it does. Actors and actresses get away with a lot of things and are judged so much which usually makes them act a certain way. I think they get paid too much and there are more important jobs that should have that money. Teenagers are especially in this situation. A lot of teenagers will do whatever they have to to become popular and remain popular. If I want to look nice it is mainly for me and my husband not for anyone else. But there are people who want to be liked so much they will do anything and that can change who the person really is. Other people judge others by the way they look. It can determine whether they want to be friends with the person, be a lover, employee. There are many instances where appearances play a roll ion determining things.
ashleyc07
E-9

Number of posts : 3283
Name : Ashley
Hero's Name : William
Furbabies/Pets : Melany
Kids : Sereniti,LaRayne
Anniversary : Dec.28
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysuezann
Blog : http://carrollfamily10.blogspot.com
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:20 pm

I totally agree with you guys. I think it is sad that we live in a world where we reinforce a sense of entitlement in people. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever change.

So, in the book, Dorian essentially "sold his soul" to have this perfect life. If people had that option, do you think a lot would take it?

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc07 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:52 am

I think a lot would take. I dont think I would I love my life even if it could be more exciting but I wouldnt change anything
ashleyc07
E-9

Number of posts : 3283
Name : Ashley
Furbabies/Pets : Melany
Kids : Sereniti,LaRayne
Anniversary : Dec.28
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysuezann
Blog : http://carrollfamily10.blogspot.com
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Psykiblue on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:56 am

Well there is a reason that older adults call the new generation the 'gimme' generation. I sometimes think its kind of unbelieveable the way kids are today. They have this sense of entitlement that they can do/treat people however they like. Honestly some parents need a swift kick to the ass. Not all, but some.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenamie on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

umm yeah I know so first hand... I have in the past got out of tickets and trouble in school just by batting my eyes and doing the "innocent" act...
Not that I knew I could I just knew I had to try... and I think its the same way with celebs, not always do they think well I can do what ever I want and get away with it, they just do something and get in trouble and then hit the charm to get out of it.
But I'm sure some think they can do whatever they want too.

Jenamie

Number of posts : 6088
Name : Jeni
Hero's Name : Tim "Beetle"
Military Branch : Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Missy, Kaos, Orion, Comet, Cupid, Snickers, Bowzer
Kids : Shepard
Anniversary : 22 Aug 2009
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down