To ban Happy Meal toys...that is what the gov't is up to now...

Go down

To ban Happy Meal toys...that is what the gov't is up to now...

Post by armywife96 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/happy-meals-frown-kids-meal-toy-ban-10183133

There are several news sites out there broadcasting this story but I only posted one link, if you want more I will gladly get them for you.

Basically a CA official is wanting to ban happy meal toys based on the fact that the toys are what drive parents to buy happy meals thus making american kids fat. He thinks if we ban Happy Meal toys, Happy Meal sales will drop off and kids will magically eat healthier. Soooo, what's your opinion?
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Re: To ban Happy Meal toys...that is what the gov't is up to now...

Post by armywife96 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

My opinion is toys have little effect on if we decide to stop and eat at a McD's. or any other fast food place. Those little toys are wretched if stepped on in the middle of the night. I just think it is a waste of time. I really don't see that there are that many parents out there who plan their dinner around whether or not their kid gets a toy in the happy meal. I know we don't eat out hardly at all, in the past 3 months I can only count 1 time (when we were out of town) that we stopped and ate fast food. There are times though that I will say the toy is an added benefit when we are traveling long distances and the kids are bored with the toys we brought but you know what when we are traveling we are gonna stop at a FF place reguardless as to if they offer toys or not.

I would however like to see this city official standing in lines at these places should this go through explaining to the kids why there are no happy meal toys. haha that would be fun.
armywife96
E-9

Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by HouseHold6 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

I think they should be rid of them simply because they are the toys that help fill up every land fill in the US... they are trash and waste of resources for five mins of distraction, the toys suck and always end up in the trash.

I cant stand mcdonalds, i havent eaten there since i was a kid, and i do not allow the girls to eat there, or burger king, we dont do happy meals, I cant stand the smell of cheese burgers and fries, the smell makes me nausious.... the only fast food i will let them have is taco bell, because they love the cheese roll ups, and arbies because of the chicken fingers and the fruit juice and fruit cups that come with the meal, but even that is maybe once ever six months... i hate drive thrus and restraunts... i know im wierd...

i dont think i toy is going to help or hinder the sell of happy meals or have any affect on the fat that 30-45 percent of todays youth is overweight unhealthy and or obese
HouseHold6
E-7

Number of posts : 2079
Name : K
Military Branch : Army Hooah
Kids : Shelby and Aliscia
Anniversary :
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Yeah, I am sad to day that the moron who thought of it is from the Bay Area. I think it's up to the parents to decide which foods their kids should eat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I have to say I agree with him. Yes it is the parents choice as to what their kid eats but I would love to be able to tell my kid there are no more toys in the happy meals because then they wouldn't beg me for the damn meal. This is a very long shot of a comparison but in a way it is like Camel cigarettes advertising to kids that smoking was cool. McDonald's is targeting children and they are telling them to eat unhealthy. I think all my kid's knew what that golden arch meant before they were two and I didn't even take them to McDonald's. If you watch the documentary "Super Size Me" you will get an idea of how bad for you it really is. Also start watching Jamie Oliver's new show, Food Revolution. It really opens up your eyes to see the amount of junk we are feeding the kids at school already!

I want my kids to be healthy and live long lives. So yea in my opinion banning those stupid toys would be a start in the right direction. It won't make a huge difference but it takes baby steps.

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc07 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Thats loads of crap. Kids are going to eat whether there is a toy in it or not. Look at Arbys they give those stupid fact toys out and Sereniti doesnt play with those at all but she still gets the food.
ashleyc07
E-9

Number of posts : 3283
Name : Ashley
Hero's Name : William
Furbabies/Pets : Melany
Kids : Sereniti,LaRayne
Anniversary : Dec.28
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysuezann
Blog : http://carrollfamily10.blogspot.com
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Psykiblue on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:15 pm

IMO I think its ridiculous. Parents can't say um no? to going to McDonalds? Or visiting it as a treat? It reminds me of the woman who sued McDonalds for making her 'fat' because she didn't realize that all that food was bad for her etc. She lost, but still.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Psykiblue wrote:IMO I think its ridiculous. Parents can't say um no? to going to McDonalds? Or visiting it as a treat? It reminds me of the woman who sued McDonalds for making her 'fat' because she didn't realize that all that food was bad for her etc. She lost, but still.

LMAO!

I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Kids in our country are obese because parents are lazy. I know too many families who eat fast food daily because they don't want to have to deal with cooking a meal. I don't think that getting rid of the toys will do anything to improve the health of our nation's kids. Parents need to stop being stupid and lazy and feeding their kids that crap. A happy meal every once in awhile is one thing, but some people buy them daily out of convenience. Yes, the kids sometimes beg for the meals so they can get a toy, but parents just need to say no. A family that I work with bought their son crap like that every day, and they had DFCS called on them for nutritional neglect. Maybe that should happen more often to scare parents into taking care of their children.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 pm

I totally agree people need to feed their kids better, I just don't think banning toys in the happy meal will stop it. I will say sometimes it is hard to feed your kids healthy. Prices on Veg. lately have gone through the roof. At the commissary this past week I paid almost $6 for 3 bell peppers and it was $1.99 per tomato, things like that do make it hard for parents to feed their kids healthy. I mean those are 2 very small ingredidients and I could have bought 3 kids meals for that(not saying i would).
armywife96
E-9

Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenamie on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:18 pm

I tend to agree with the ban, but I still think if you cant say no to your kids then thats your problem too...

I do agree the healthy foods being so expensive dose suck!

I think we should tax crap food more so we can give that extra food to the people who make the healthy foods and make them cheaper.

But again thats just me hehe

Jenamie

Number of posts : 6088
Name : Jeni
Hero's Name : Tim "Beetle"
Military Branch : Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Missy, Kaos, Orion, Comet, Cupid, Snickers, Bowzer
Kids : Shepard
Anniversary : 22 Aug 2009
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by baybeegurl5469 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm

they have healthy happy meals too.
baybeegurl5469
W-1

Number of posts : 5154
Name : Krista
Hero's Name : Jonathon
Furbabies/Pets : DeeOGee
Kids : Elizabeth Marie and one on the way!
Anniversary : Valentines Day!
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-29

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Expressions/14932191513630

Back to top Go down

Post by Sportyshorty0204 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 pm

marisa wrote:Kids in our country are obese because parents are lazy. I know too many families who eat fast food daily because they don't want to have to deal with cooking a meal. I don't think that getting rid of the toys will do anything to improve the health of our nation's kids. Parents need to stop being stupid and lazy and feeding their kids that crap. A happy meal every once in awhile is one thing, but some people buy them daily out of convenience. Yes, the kids sometimes beg for the meals so they can get a toy, but parents just need to say no. A family that I work with bought their son crap like that every day, and they had DFCS called on them for nutritional neglect. Maybe that should happen more often to scare parents into taking care of their children.

I totally agree with you Marisa!
Sportyshorty0204
W-2

Number of posts : 5670
Name : Leighann
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Lexi
Kids : Madisyn (maddie)
Anniversary : July 22 2006
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-20

http://www.facebook.com/sportyshorty0204

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:23 pm

For the most part my kids don't get McDonald's and I tell them no. That doesn't mean I am don't get tired of hearing them ask. And that is the only reason that they ask to go. They could care less about the food. If I do treat them half the time they don't even eat it so I paid $3.59 for junk. I guess I would just like to see them banned for personal reasons LOL.

Also even the so called "healthy" happy meals at McDonald's aren't good for kids. They are still high in sodium, calories, and fat. http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_happymeals.html

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HouseHold6 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 am

I want to point out a great fact

EATING HEALTHY IS SO CRAZY EXPENSIVE!!!

that is not excuse not to eat right but the price of a full salad and the price of a double wopper... its comparable

but its not impossible to afford it either if you live solid.

Me and russ got into a fight over this, his side being my health nut ways were killing our grocery budget, and my side being it was just as expensive as his junk food addiction... so we did the math, got produce one pay check and not another... we bought can'd food one pay check and fresh produce or birds eye steam fresh frozen bags the other pay check... and let me tell you holly molly the difference... eating fresh and fit and healthy is expensive... but its equeal loading your cupboards full off crap and going out to eat at least four times a week.. either way food is getting crazy expensive...
HouseHold6
E-7

Number of posts : 2079
Name : K
Military Branch : Army Hooah
Kids : Shelby and Aliscia
Anniversary :
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:05 am

Eating healthy can be expensive, but like Kendra said, look at how much is spent on chips and candy. I rarely buy potato chips, but they are sometimes $3.50-$4 a bag!

I buy a lot of the steamfresh frozen veggies, with a mix of some fresh in there too. Dan complains that my veggies cost too much, but I remind him too how much he spends on meat. Not saying everyone should stop eating meat, but just pointing out that he could just cut back on the meat a little and buy veggies instead for a healthier menu.

I'll go back to my previous point about a lot of families going out to eat almost every night. I knew a family growing up that ate out for EVERY meal, even breakfast. I'm sure they spent $50+ a day for the family going out, even just getting fast food. In cases like those, they could save money by buying healthy foods and eating at home.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh I love the Birds Eye veggies, I get a ton when they are on sale, buy one get one free I stock the freezer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down