Why

Go down

Why

Post by Psykiblue on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm

are people racist?

Do they really think that they're better than others because of the color of their skin? Because they're in a position of authority and believe in the power of priviledge.

I think honestly that rasicm isn't as 'gone' as people like to think it is. Instead of being more overt, now its covert and kept in the closet so to speak.

Sometimes its frustrating.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why

Post by Sportyshorty0204 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I agree with you! People who are racist drive me nuts. I cant and wont ever understand why they feel they are better or above others. So very infuriating to me....enough said, haha before I loose my temper on this subject.
Sportyshorty0204
W-2

Number of posts : 5670
Name : Leighann
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Lexi
Kids : Madisyn (maddie)
Anniversary : July 22 2006
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://www.facebook.com/sportyshorty0204

Back to top Go down

Post by Psykiblue on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 pm

I think honestly more people need to stand up and say that's not right instead of being worried about people getting mad.

Until society as a whole learns to shut racism down, we will just have 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CoCo on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 pm

I totally agree with you. I never realized how bad it really was here until I moved to El Paso and got used to the way things were there. I came back here and you can't even say "the word" (black). We just had a new baby start at our center and she's half, yet apparently it's wrong to say that she's "black" because people are so horribly racist that it can't even be spoken. Doesn't help that this town is basically run by the KKK.

I was born and raised in this area and I have seen very few people of different color. Growing up in this environment, I probably didn't see a black person until I was a teenager, yet I was always raised that color didn't matter. When I moved to El Paso, I never saw color and a child was a child, a person was a person and it didn't matter the color of their skin. It was somewhat of a shock moving back here and talking of my experiences there, all the while people are looking at me like I've done something wrong for accepting everyone.
CoCo
E-5

Number of posts : 1619
Name : Nicole
Hero's Name : Ryan
Military Branch : None Sad
Furbabies/Pets : Dogs: Kilo and Clay; Cat: Mara
Kids : Brendon (5) and Dylan (3)
Anniversary : Feb. 25, 2008
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by baybeegurl5469 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

It DEF still exists.

I think a lot of the times people are raised like that, so they have it deeply ingrained in themselves.

its frustrating. people are people period.

we're all pink on the inside hehe.
baybeegurl5469
W-1

Number of posts : 5154
Name : Krista
Hero's Name : Jonathon
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : DeeOGee
Kids : Elizabeth Marie and one on the way!
Anniversary : Valentines Day!
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-29

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Expressions/14932191513630

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 am

It exists, and sadly I dont think it will ever go away. It exists all over the world, not just here between blacks and whites. I think it is dumb that we attribute so many beliefs to the color of skin, but I dontthink it is something that will easily change.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:11 am

Well facing it first hand I am still always surprised by the ignorance of others. Alexis is such a beautiful caring child and for anyone even another child to say something always startles me. But here is the problem. It is the parents. Twice I have had children say something to her...
Once the child begin as just curious (this doesn't bother Ally)... "Why are you black when you moms white", Ally explained and the child's response was "That's gross" (Alexis was upset and an adult had heard). The parents didn't see this as a problem. When they called me and talked to me they tried to explain to me that the child was being curious. I tried to explain that isn't what bothered Ally, it was the fact that she thought it was gross. While this wasn't that big of a deal it is still important in my opinion to explain to the child that someones background isn't gross.

The other time the parents response was even worse. Some child told Ally it looked like she stuck her head in crap. I immediately called the school because the bullying on the bus had gotten out of hand. The student and Ally were called in to the office. The student was made to apologize and then the parents were called in. The parents were upset over being called in for something that they thought "wasn't a big deal" and were even upset that he was made to apologize.

Both of these children are being taught in my opinion that it is ok for them to judge based on the color of the skin. And they will grow up and teach the same to their children. Why I would love to think that it would come to an end the cycle will continue.

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 am

I think you are absolutely right Emily. Each generation passes along to the next their opinions, and unfortunately so many of these opinions are against other skin colors or nationalities. Unless a parent teaches his/her children to be accepting, the problem will just continue.

When I was little, my best friend was black, and I remember my grandmother saying all kinds of nasty stuff about her. I swore I would never be a bitch like my grandmother and judge people like that.

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Ignorance and deliberate attempts to be stupid? I really don't know and can't say.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc07 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 pm

I very much dislike when people judge based on color or say something about their skin color. I agree that people are just people no matter the color of their skin. It is not right to judge them for it. Really it isnt their fault they do not choose what they look like it is based on the parents but that doesnt give anyone the right to be mean to them for it.
ashleyc07
E-9

Number of posts : 3283
Name : Ashley
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Melany
Kids : Sereniti,LaRayne
Anniversary : Dec.28
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysuezann
Blog : http://carrollfamily10.blogspot.com
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgiaPeach on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I agree with all of you...but it's def a problem for EVERYBODY. I had a teacher (she was black) who told us that black people cannot be racist because they are the minority. She discriminated against her non black students everyday. I grew up in a school that was about 50/50 white and black and we never had any kind of racial problems. Even though we were rural Georgia...we all grew up together and there were never any problems. Since moving to Del Rio, I get discriminated against often. Our town on the border is probably 95 percent Hispanic. At a certain store in town, the lady does not put prices on her merchandise because she has a Mexican price and a white price. This is a fact. So, I've seen both sides of it for sure. EVERYONE has to be taught not to judge by the color of skin, whether that skin is white, black, brown, whatever. We are all God's children!
GeorgiaPeach
Basic

Number of posts : 396
Name : Jennifer
Military Branch : AD Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Heidi and Mattie
Kids : Caden
Anniversary : 25 Mar 00
Blog :

Back to top Go down