Do you think???

Go down

Do you think???

Post by Emily on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm

that people are forgetting we are at war. We don't because obviously we deal with it on a daily basis but it feels like no one remembers that there are Americans fighting. The news rarely even touches on it any more. It used to be each fallen soldier was recognized but now you never hear about it. And while it is a touch subject and it hurts to hear I still think that it is important that we remember what is going on. In World War I and II people lived with it daily because it effected everyone. Everyone was rationed food and there were reminders every where. Here everyone has become so wrapped up in the stupid news like John & Kate and Octomom. I started thinking about it when I was getting a pedicure the other day. News was on the whole time on CNN and I heard the same tired stupid stories that really should hold no significance.

What do you all think?

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you think???

Post by Psykiblue on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

A lot of times people are more interested in celebrity gossip and the like b/c it takes them 'away' from their real lives, and the reality is not many people want to be reminded of death and terror on a daily basis, that can be construed in some ways as fear mongering.

However, I've always heard of soldiers acknowledged when they have been killed or injured, so many I'm not seeing what you are but I will admit that the media is overrun with celebs. Especially if one dies, I mean michael jackson's death literally took up television for a month practically! Apparently most people lap it up.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by armywife96 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm

I couldn't agree more. Not because we are involved so deeply in it but because I think it is the right thing to do I think it should be brought up everyday. If people thought about it more it wouldn't be such an easy topic to dismiss politically and I am sorry I think they do. When Micheal Jackson can get more media time the day he dies then 7 soldiers die for our country and who didn't even get mentioned (died same day) something is seriously wrong with the country. No war isn't pretty, it isn't something we like to think about but the fact is we are at war and this country likes to think like we arent' (spending, etc) except when it fits into their political agenda. Financially if this country took it seriously like they did in WWI and II and acted like we were at war we wouldn't be in nearly the debt we are in now and our guys would have all their equipment. Just my opinion
armywife96
E-9

Number of posts : 3210
Name : Danielle
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Buddy, Sadie (Dogs), Cleo, Snickers (cats)
Kids : Erika, Brittany and McKinley
Anniversary : 05/11/96
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't believe that people have forgotten per se. I believe that people have become accustomed to it to the point of desensitization. We've basically been "at war" since 2002. It's 2010 now and there have been no breaks in between the Operations. People are leaving one place and basically (and sometimes literally) going straight to the other. It's to the point that people don't realize that we're fighting multiple things at the same time.

I think the war is also ignored to a degree because people aren't as blatantly affected nowadays as they were in the past. Yeah, it's hitting us hard economically, but that's not really a primary result. We haven't had a major bombing here since 2001. People don't have the blatant results of the war such as the draft during Vietnam smacking them in the face every time they turn around.

There is also the increased globalization aspect that affects it too. We aren't really the "melting pot" culture that we were back in the 20s and 40s. We're a "salad bowl" now and we've lost the large sense of unity for the country as a result. People don't feel the need to support/pay attention to the war just because we're there and we're America. If they don't agree with it, they don't have to watch that channel. Same thing with people that are tired of thinking about the war and wanting an escape. They have the stupid shit to watch, and according to the ratings, they do. Thus the news reports more of the stupid shit and the war gets a back burner because it's been there all along and will continue to be there for quite some time.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyc07 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:09 pm

I think that soldiers should get more in the media than people like Micheal Jackson and Octomom. They do more than these celbs do and what they is more important. Yes not everyone wants to hear about war and death but it should interest people of what these soldiers are doing for their freedom and they should acknowledge that more than a death of a clebrity
ashleyc07
E-9

Number of posts : 3283
Name : Ashley
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : Melany
Kids : Sereniti,LaRayne
Anniversary : Dec.28
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysuezann
Blog : http://carrollfamily10.blogspot.com
Registration date : 2008-09-29