The "C" Word

Go down

The "C" Word

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Background: I was talking a while ago with a girl in my class and she was really pissed off that someone around her had used the word cunt. It wasn't directed at her. It was just used in her general vicinity. I couldn't really figure out why she was so offended by it being used, when she had just finished calling another girl a bitch. The general consensus of the class was that cunt is a really bad word...even worse than fuck (which is used quite liberally by the rest of my classmates).

My question is: What is your connotation of the term? What makes this term so bad? Why is it so much worse than other derogatory names?

Disclaimer that I lifted from Karla: Remember, we're all adults, no flaming if someone does not agree with you and/or if someone posts something you don't agree with you. You can make your point without being mean and hurtful and if you truly feel like someone has said something that needs addressing either contact the person directly ie: PM, yahoo, facebook whatever please don't do it directly in this thread as it's rude and disrespectful. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Re: The "C" Word

Post by bright eyes on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 pm

idk dallas, i dont find it offensive at all...it just makes me giggle because lots of chicks do find it so offensive. i think something can only be offensive to you if you let it, and it just doesnt bother me.
bright eyes
W-2

Number of posts : 6047
Name : Heather
Hero's Name : Matthew
Military Branch : Army(Hooah)
Furbabies/Pets : Fiona & Pebbles(kitties), Apollo & Riley(dogs)
Kids : Dominic & Esme(impending baby Nicolai #2)
Anniversary : December 9, 2008
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Psykiblue on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 pm

I refuse to say its evil based on the fact that a patriarchal society dictates that the C word is evil somehow and dirty. Its not, its not got any power unless you give it power.

I think people make too much out of it.
Psykiblue
W-2

Number of posts : 6297
Name : Karla
Hero's Name : William
Military Branch : USMC
Furbabies/Pets : Lucas
Anniversary : 2006-06-24
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-27

http://psykiblue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Personally, I don't really have any negative connotations associated with it. I've been called it several times, and I got the impression that it was supposed to be the ULTIMATE insult based on the other person's behavior, but it doesn't affect me any worse than being called a bitch. No one in my house really used it while I was growing up, but I also wasn't cautioned against its use.

All the females that I questioned said that it was derogatory and offensive to women because of it's sexist nature. I got that. It didn't explain why it was worse than being called a bitch or even a twat or vagina. I've heard people being called all kinds of terms for female anatomy, but for some reason cunt seems to be off-limits. It pisses me off when someone insults me and I happen to call them a cunt and then I get lambasted for "taking things too far" and "crossing a line".

I remember once when I was at a party and a guy used it around me, and all the other guys jumped him for offending me by using it in my presence. Except that I wasn't offended, because it doesn't hold as strongly of a negative connotation. They acted like I was either lying or a freak of nature. So they insisted upon using it all night in order to upset me and prove that I was in fact offended by it. I did get annoyed, but it was because of their actions and the word itself.

Really, I think the whole situation is interesting from a sociology/linguistic standpoint.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenamie on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I never knew it was that big of a deal I dont use it because it just sounds funny and makes me giggle just saying it (I know I'm so 15!)

I never really knew the word as a kid and only really got know it cuz I had a friend who would call people she was annoyed with cunt-baggle and that was my fave word up until my ex came up with twat-waffle... again cracking me hehehehehhe

or if I'm just being silly I with say that a really horny girl is talking with her "C U Next Tuesday"
No one gets it but the people I'm around so to me its funny!

But if someone called me it... well I dont really care what people call me even if its a bitch cunt whore... people will call me what they want too if there mad and either I love them and know there just mad so I let it go or I dont care who they are so dont give them the time to be mad at them and just go on with life Smile

Jenamie

Number of posts : 6088
Name : Jeni
Hero's Name : Tim "Beetle"
Military Branch : Air Force
Furbabies/Pets : Missy, Kaos, Orion, Comet, Cupid, Snickers, Bowzer
Kids : Shepard
Anniversary : 22 Aug 2009
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by naquata on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

I think getting so upset over something someone said that wasn't directed at you is a big waste of energy. Get over it, drive on. I hope her head doesn't explode when something worth fretting over comes into her life.
naquata
W-1

Number of posts : 4419
Name : Megan
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Kali
Kids : Rosaline (5) Isabelle (3)
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by baybeegurl5469 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 pm

I am not offended at all...heck I use it when really pissed at a chick. Usually while venting, and I before I do I say "excuse me...that cunt....etc etc" Cuz I know some ppl hate that word
baybeegurl5469
W-1

Number of posts : 5154
Name : Krista
Hero's Name : Jonathon
Military Branch : Army
Furbabies/Pets : DeeOGee
Kids : Elizabeth Marie and one on the way!
Anniversary : Valentines Day!
Blog :
Registration date : 2008-09-29

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Expressions/14932191513630

Back to top Go down

Post by whiskey_girl on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:35 pm

I would only find it offenseive if it was directed towards me. If it is said once are twice when talking about someone fine, but if it is thrown around about someone, well perhaps not offensive but it would just get down right arrogant.
whiskey_girl
Basic

Number of posts : 161
Name : Leah
Military Branch : Army National Guard
Furbabies/Pets : Toni - the cat
Roary the racing Fish, Big Blue Jet Fish
Rest in Peace Maxi the baby fish
Kids : My number one and only William....with his famous saying \"I'm here\"
Anniversary : 10/6/2000
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/lilrusty072826
Blog :
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by marisa on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 pm

I've never really used the word, and I don't see how it is any different than the word bitch either.

I googled the word to find some of its definitions:
-"unpleasant or stupid person" (Compact Oxford English Dictionary)
-"a woman regarded as a sexual object" (Merriam-Webster)
-"a despicable man" (Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English)

I also found that when used as a slang term with a positive qualifier (good, funny, clever, etc) in countries such as Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia, it conveys a positive sense of the object or person to which it refers.

Hmmm...

Lose Before I Cruise!!! (I swear I'm always trying to lose Mad Can't ever get past this plateau)

marisa
Admin

Number of posts : 5579
Name : Marisa
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by naquata on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 pm

marisa wrote:I've never really used the word, and I don't see how it is any different than the word bitch either.

I googled the word to find some of its definitions:
-"unpleasant or stupid person" (Compact Oxford English Dictionary)
-"a woman regarded as a sexual object" (Merriam-Webster)
-"a despicable man" (Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English)

I also found that when used as a slang term with a positive qualifier (good, funny, clever, etc) in countries such as Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia, it conveys a positive sense of the object or person to which it refers.

Hmmm...

That is very interesting!
naquata
W-1

Number of posts : 4419
Name : Megan
Military Branch : Active Duty Army
Furbabies/Pets : Kali
Kids : Rosaline (5) Isabelle (3)
Blog :

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzJ on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I dont hear that word very often but i dont think i would like it if someone was to say that to me.
I just dont like the way it sounds
LindzJ
Basic

Number of posts : 212
Blog :
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Emily on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 pm

I am not fond of the word myself. I actually had this conversation recently. I am not sure if it is the way it sounds or what but I find it an extreamly vulgar word. It is also the one thing Jeff could call me that would send me flying of the handle. So I have a negative experience with the word. Can't really pin point why it bothers me though. There are only 2 words that I don't say and that is one of them. The other is the "n" word.

Number of posts : 2816
Name : Emily
Furbabies/Pets : Mia
Kids : Alexis (9)
Anabelle (6)
Riley (4)
Blog : http://just-thewayiam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BumbleBee on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm not a big fan of the word. I don't use it and I never will. If I were to be used to describe me, I'm not sure how I would react. But I probably would be offended, but I wouldn't stew over it and let it affect me too much.
BumbleBee
Basic

Number of posts : 150
Name : Bridget
Military Branch : AD Army
Furbabies/Pets : Bear
Anniversary : Oct. 15, 2009
Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/d0rkiegirlie
Blog :
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down